Training course in research methodology and research protocol development 2018
Moazzam Ali (WHO)
Tomas Allen (WHO)
Karim Abawi (GFMER)
Objectives of the course
To provide knowledge and skills in research methodology in sexual and reproductive health. This course will enhance participants’ knowledge of how to conduct literature searches, develop research protocols and improve their scientific writing.
This course is divided into four thematic areas:
1. Literature search and referral to biomedical documents
The aim of conducting a literature search is to identify the most relevant sources related to a study topic in order to provide evidence, give background information, place research into a theoretical context and inform readers about similar research on the topic. A literature review is crucial for the credibility of a scientific paper and serves as an update of professional knowledge in a particular field of expertise.
Referencing is a standard way of citing the sources of information you have used and ideas that are not your intellectual property. It is important to verify citation and to allow readers to follow-up certain topics in further detail and locate the cited author’s original work.
2. Epidemiologic studies
This section provides basic knowledge on different epidemiological studies used to conduct research projects. It includes methods for observational (analytic & descriptive) studies, such as cross sectional, screening, cohort, case-control and experimental studies like randomized trials. This section includes both quantitative and qualitative methods for conducting research as well as various data collection methods.
3. Research protocol development
This section provides practical instructions on how to develop a research protocol according to the WHO recommended format. This section also contains a special course on research ethics.
4. Scientific writing
This section provides instruction on scientific writing, such as article, report, presentation based on academic criteria.
Topics to be covered in the course
Week 1. Introduction: Research topic selection, research question and research problem statement
Week 2: Effective literature search and citing biomedical documents and sources
Week 3. Types of research (qualitative and quantitative)
Week 3. Epidemiologic studies
Week 4. Epidemiologic studies cont’d.
Week 5. Sampling (sample size and sampling technique)
Week 5. Quantitative data collection
Week 6. Qualitative study design
- Introduction to qualitative research
- Qualitative sampling techniques
- Qualitative data collection techniques
- Qualitative research approaches
Week 7. Research ethics
Week 7. Critical appraisal of research publication
Week 8. Scientific writing
Week 8. Standard research protocol format
Teaching-learning methods to be used in course
On each of the topic, the following items will be posted:
- A set of slides with accompanying talking points
- Reference documents
- Other audio-visual materials
What is required of you?
For each module, participants must:
- Study the slides and talking points.
- Read all accompanying documents.
- Answer to the multiple choice questions.
- Complete the short assignment or interactive exercise, after going through the slide set and documents.
A personal coach will be assigned to each participant, whose role is to facilitate the course and serve as tutor.
Course validation and certificate
In order to validate the module and obtain the certificate, the participants are required to develop a research protocol relevant to their professional practice and under the guidance of their personal coach.
Start date: 16 July 2018
End date: 7 September 2018
Application deadline: 17 June 2018
Payment deadline: 9 July 2018
To apply for the course, you should submit the completed application form and send the required enclosures by email to the course email address.
Please send the following documents by email to the course email address.
- A curriculum vitae, including sections on current and previous positions
- A certified copy of diploma(s)
- A letter of motivation stating clearly your interests and reasons for applying to the Course (1-2 page maximum).
Course email: email@example.com
You are encouraged to join other courses offered in the same year to benefit from a discount.
|Course||Course fee||Discount||Total course fee|
|One course in a year||USD 250||Fixed||USD 250|
|Two courses in a year||1st course USD 250|
2nd course USD 200
|Three courses in a year||1st course USD 250|
2nd course USD 200
3rd course USD 200
|All four courses in a year||1st course USD 125|
2nd course USD 125
3rd course USD 125
4th course USD 125
Terms and conditions:
- To benefit from discount, participants must take the courses in the same year.
- Discount applies to only the following four courses: Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive health, Research methodology and research protocol development, Sexually transmitted infections, HIV/AIDS and Family planning.
- The course fee should be settled one week before the start date of the first course.
- The course fee is non-refundable and non-deferrable.